Detroit Metro Airport (DTW) is far from lost and it continues to grow, but it looks nothing like it used to. The state-of-the-art North and McNamara Terminals recently replaced what were the most modern and up-to-date terminals of their time. The L.C. Smith Terminal, built in 1957, helped make DTW the first inland airport certified for commercial jet operations in the U.S. The larger Davey Terminal was designed by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls and opened in 1966. Finally, in 1972, the Berry Terminal was opened exclusively for international flights. It was designed by Louis G. Redstone Associates.
Inefficiencies and new standards for airport terminals led to the replacement of all three. The Berry and Smith Terminals were both decommissioned in 2008 and are soon to be demolished. The Davey Terminal was demolished beginning in 2005 during construction of North Terminal.